How can I manage my stress?
I think most people are feeling a little stressed lately. There are a few very practical things that you can do to stay calm when the world around you seems to be spinning out of control.
Controlled breathing can help to physiologically control your stress. This is one part of your body over which you have significant control. Take slow, even, deep breaths – 7 seconds in, hold for 1 second, then 7 seconds out. Use your watch to time yourself.
- 5 things that you can see
- 4 things that you can feel
- 3 things that you can hear
- 2 things that you can smell
- 1 thing that you can taste
- Try to get enough sleep. This can definitely improve your stress level.
- Try to eat regularly and in a healthy way. Try to avoid emotional eating and avoid eating a lot of junk foods. This can be hard as we all tend to crave junk foods when we are stressed!
- Try to get some exercise on a daily basis. Even if you are not able to do your usual exercise routine because you can’t go to the gym, there are ways that you can exercise at home. Maybe go for a walk a couple of times a day, even if it is just in your backyard, or around the inside of the house. Do some jumping jacks or turn on some music and dance. Maybe you could have a dance party with the kids, and you could all use up some energy!
- Try to get some time outdoors every day if you can. Even though you may be stuck at home, most of us can get outside without being exposed to others. If you are not able to get outside, try to get curtains open in every room to get plenty of light in the house. Sun exposure can improve your mood.
- Keep your living space clean; not just sanitized, but organized. Organizing the space around you can give you a significant sense of control.
If you have any more questions just Ask Hanna, our health advisors are here to help.
Dr. Anita Bennett MD – Health Tip Content Editor
Image: ©Shutterstock / fizkes