Is poison ivy dangerous?
We may not typically think of poison ivy this time of year. It really seems like more of a summer worry. However, it’s the time in which we are usually doing a lot of yard clean up. You can be exposed to poison ivy raking leaves, picking up brush, stacking firewood, or even bringing firewood in for a fire. I thought this was a good time to talk about poison ivy. When you are not really thinking about it, you are more likely to be exposed.
- Direct contact – Touching the stems, leaves, roots, or berries of the plants
- Touching an object contaminated with the oil – It may be on your shoes after a walk, on the sleeve of your shirt or jacket, on the fur of your dog or cat, on tools that you used in the yard, on wood that was cut and stacked for the fireplace. The oil can stay active on a surface for several years without losing its potency.
- Inhaling smoke from burning plants – This can irritate or even cause damage to your nasal passages or lungs.
If you have any more questions just Ask Hanna, our health advisors are here to help.
Dr. Anita Bennett MD – Health Tip Content Editor
Image: ©Shutterstock / Nancy Kennedy